I have enjoyed reading people’s 25 lists of random things so I thought I might offer my own up for my fabulous readers.
And with that:
1. When I was a little kid, I remember wanting to be an airline pilot more than anything. I used to read books on flying, played flight simulator, and obsess over it. The few flying trips I got to go on were an absolute delight. I think this dream was ruined when I got a prescription for glasses in the 4th grade. Apparently having good vision is important when piloting an airplane.
2. I have had only one serious long-term girlfriend and her name is Emily. I will always be indebted to her for showing me the grand canyon in Arizona and for bearing with me through the awkwardness that comes with anyone’s first sexual encounters. I’m still mad at her for dumping me for a cop that was five years older than her though.
3. I can’t remember exactly what turned me onto rap and hip-hop. I think it was Bryson but man, I can’t get enough of it these days. I’m the whitest rapper you’ll ever meet.
4. One of my all-time favorite things to do is to find a real dive bar that is nice and smokey, serves cheap beer, and has KARAOKE. I love karaoke and I’ll sing anything from Lynyrd Skynyrd to Alan Jackson to Jay-Z. It’s an insane amount of fun and I have no qualms about embarrassing myself.
5. My favorite mixed drink is a Captain and Coke. It is simply marvelous.
6. If there was one thing I wish I could go back an rededicate myself to it would be golf. I’m just getting better and better and I wonder how good I could have been had I just focused on it a little earlier.
7. I played the trombone for seven years before quitting to concentrate on my running in 10th grade. I can still play the theme from Star Wars.
8. Heights have always made me uncomfortable. That along with stinging insects and snakes. I don’t do snakes. Spiders don’t bother me though.
9. I used to be a really, really good hackey-sac player. It started when we had an hour to kill between school and cross country practice. Someone brought one and we would spend an hour there or while waiting in between meets. I progressed very quickly became good and kinda miss it now actually.
10. I used to be an avid skateboarder. I was never much into the lifestyle or the clothing, I just loved to skate. I love the skill and precision it requires and I still enjoy just taking the old board out and cruising around when it’s nice.
11. I’ve had stitches in my face and head five separate times all of which occured before I was 10. I…uhh…used to be a little hyper and accident prone if you can believe it.
12. My most embarrassing moment thus far was when I wore gym shorts to math class in 8th grade but they were on backwards. I was called out in front of the whole class and was laughed at for quite sometime. Boy, that was a low point.
13. I co-founded a clan on Starcraft’s battlenet that is still active today, almost 10 years later. I don’t know anyone and they sure don’t know me but I always smile when I get on see the channel still full of people. An unknown legacy.
14. I have the most comfortable bed imaginable. She is my mistress and she is very good to me. Napping and sleeping in it are one of my favorite hobbies.
15. Speaking of naps, I can sleep anywhere. Church, airplanes, backseat of a car, the floor of my work, sleeping bag-anywhere. It’s one of my gifts I suppose.
16. My favorite band of all-time is Blink 182. I know they seem teenie bopperish but their music and songs have stayed near and dear to my heart since I was an adolescent. I will announce it proudly.
17. The handball tournament I won my sophomore year is one of my proudest achievements as it marks the only real time I can think of when I, as an individual, won something without the aid of a team or disqualification. Winning that last point in a tie breaker was a jubilant time for me and I don’t give two shits that it was the novice division.
18. My favorite book is Shogun by James Clavell. It’s 1210 pages long but I still have never read a more sweeping epic that unites so much action, intrigue and romance into a concise and wonderfully entertaining novel. He’s such an underrated writer in my opinion.
19. It’s hard for me to name a favorite movie, I love “Lost in Translation” and “Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.” They just have always connected with me somehow and remain moving no matter how many times I watch them.
20. I went through a bass fishing phase for a while my junior year of high school. Me and a few friends would hit up the golf course ponds which were loaded with lunkers. We would get up early and spend hours catching fish or take the laterns out and go catfishing late at night. It was always such a blast.
21. I once was three letter athlete in junior high when I lettered in football, basketball, and track. I caught only one pass as a tight end in 7th grade and it was for a touchdown. We’re not going to talk about my basketball skills.
22. The best I have ever finished a race was 9th overall my senior year of high school at our home meet. Some guy named Jameson got 10th. This also marks the last time I ever beat him in a race.
23. The trip to New York city my sophomore year of college for the NYU relays still remains one of the coolest trips of my life. New York City absolutely blew me away in its size, scope, and diversity. I would move there in a heartbeat if I could afford to.
24. I brush before I floss.
25. I will someday live by the beach. I just can’t think of anyplace I’d rather spend my days than on the beach.
In other news, I’m officially smitten with Maryland girl. It’s been a while since I’ve felt this good about myself.